Studio 1: Week 1

The first week back from holidays. A new unit, a fresh start.

During this week of Studio (the first week), we were told that we were going to have to take more initiative in these units as they progress and that we will slowly move through the studio units letting go of our lecturers hand. I have to admit, this made me feel a little self reliant and.. a little older I guess. We were also told that our work was going to displayed, which made me a little excited. My work has never been featured, and I’ve always wanted to show multiple people what I do.

The first week went fast, and it hit me hard. The first assignment was given on day one. We were given a real-life situation. The first assessment was to “Design a set of playing cards that conforms to a particular design style.”

The styles given were as follows:

  • Celtic
  • Art Nouveau
  • Art Deco
  • Bauhaus
  • Constructivist
  • Futurist
  • Surrealist
  • Psychedelic
  • Cheesecake
  • Pop art
  • Punk
  • Street art
  • Tribal

Yes, the one I highlighted in red is the style I chose. Why? I believe that the style of psychedelia is a beautiful thing, especially when it is modernized in such a way. I had very good ideas as soon as i saw the list and i knew automatically that ‘psychedelic’ was the style i was going to choose. I began by looking at multiple references, inspiration art, wiki’s, articles on the style I selected.

Inspiration:

7c53da213118c0492ee0a3dcc5e12b61

fb5a5b884e711e0e8db7a39360d9ff9e

a1628ae32d36b0cb4ac0ac8c06f527d4

f718a31d4a75d6450d9bca46472dec8d

full board can be found here: https://www.pinterest.com/iibbott/playing-cards-inspiration/

After looking at multiple inspiration, I had a good idea on my overall design. I wanted to 12047641_10204591888228620_2112713975_nimplement skulls which were having the theme of ‘tripping’ on LSD as an effect showing on the face cards (Queen, King, Jack) So I started to sketch. I thought that adding an illustrated skeleton with vomit/ooze coming out of mouth would really push the ‘tripping’ effect. I continued to sketch and create around 5 different variations each, so I could make up my mind. After a very stressing 2 days, the pitch was on the following Wednesday. My sketches were very rough and were just there to show the ideas. All my sketches will be placed below.

back

others

After the pitch, my cards were analysed and critiqued on. There were minor problems to be fixed on; It wasn’t as scary as I made it out to be.

Overall, the first week went well. I’ll be glad to continue through this unit and can’t wait to see everyone’s work.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s